The purpose of the Senior Nutrition Action Council (SNAC) is to sponsor fundraising events and promotional activities in support of the Ventura County Senior Nutrition Program (VCSNP).
SNAC has two primary goals:
- To raise money for VCSNP meal sites. This is done through public solicitation, grants and other fundraising efforts.
- To raise community awareness of the Senior Nutrition Program and to promote volunteerism. This is done through marketing campaigns and outreach efforts.
The VCSNP is administered by the Ventura County Area Agency on Aging, (VCAAA), and day-to-day operations are managed by individual cities. The VCAAA assists each city-run nutrition program with:
- Providing nutritious meals to eligible seniors, both home delivered and at congregate meal sites.
- Promoting healthful behaviors through education.
- Sustaining senior independence by providing opportunities to socialize.
- Encouraging the participation of isolated seniors and those with the greatest economic need.
The VCSNP relies on the Older Americans Act for funds, and the contributions of participating cities and individuals. The program is no longer subsidized by the county’s General Fund. Now, more than ever, SNAC must work to raise funds to ensure that Ventura County’s growing senior population receives nutrition services.
If you would like to experience the enjoyment of helping others please consider becoming a SNAC Board Member. We meet once a month to take care of business with occasional time needed in between meetings to accomplish our goals. For more information please contact the SNAC Support Center at (805) 672-2915.